Scottdale Historical Society
Scottdale Historical Society
 

The Post Office

The Scottdale Post Office, 2013

A post office has been here since the 1860s.The town was called Fountain Mills and the original frame structure was in the Water Street area by the railroad tracks.

  • In 1874 the town was incorporated and then called Scottdale.
  • The post office moved circa 1900 to the Eicher Graft building on Pittsburgh Street in the section where the computer repair store is today, two doors left of Westmor Insurance.
  • In 1936 the A. Overholt home on the corner of Pittsburgh and Chestnut streets was razed.
  • The cornerstone was laid at that time and the current post office opened in 1938. The 1938 building was a Class A facility needed to handle the volume of postal shipping created by the Mennonite Publishing House.

-- Tom Zwierzelewski

What's New

UPCOMING MEETINGS:

The next meeting of the Scottdale Historical Society  will be Tues., June 13, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. at the Loucks House.

 

Paint Donations!

We are seeking donations for exterior paint and supplies.  Click Here for more details on how you can help!

 

We are seeking volunteers to help with:

  • Exterior painting and maintenance
  • Event planning and assistance
Print Print | Sitemap
© Scottdale Historical Society