This circa 1970 photo shows the corner of Pittsburgh and Spring Streets, the second home for McCrory's Department store. The first location was on Pittsburgh and Stoner Streets, where the Eagles is located today. Today residents know this corner at Pittsburgh and Spring Streets as the home of the Family Dollar Store.
That first McCrorey's Store location was the first John Graham McCrorey store in America, opened in 1882. The "E" was dropped sometime later.
The building shown in the photo was built by John S. Parker in the 1880's and was known as the Parker Brothers Department Store. Parker's four rooms or departments carried everything that could be found in a first class general mercantile establishment. The building was later sold to D. S. Bayne and was known for selling rugs, fabrics, and clothing. The next business to occupy the structure was the Acme Grocery store, which later moved up Pittsburgh street to the Eicher and Graft buildings giving way to the McCrory's Five and Ten cent store.
The next meeting of the Scottdale Historical Society will be Tues., Jan. 14, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. at the Loucks House.
We are seeking donations for exterior paint and supplies. Click Here for more details on how you can help!
We are seeking volunteers to help with: