Scottdale Historical Society
Scottdale Historical Society
 

Provident Bookstore

The first Provident Bookstore opened on Christmas Day in 1907 on the corner of High and Walnut Streets when the Mennonite Publishing House was established. The Publishing House had expanded their reach to a seven store chain by 1964. Scottdale's third store location is shown here when it opened in 1965 on Pittsburgh Street. By the 1970's the combined bookstore's annual growth exceeded four million dollars in sales supplying over 900,000 customers. This circa 1899 building previously housed Stoner and Porter's grocery, then Ecks Restaurant. Today we recognize this landmark as the home of Miss Martha's Tea Room.

 

What's New

UPCOMING MEETINGS:

The next meeting of the Scottdale Historical Society  will be Tues., August 8, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. at the Loucks House.

 

Paint Donations!

We are seeking donations for exterior paint and supplies.  Click Here for more details on how you can help!

 

We are seeking volunteers to help with:

  • Exterior painting and maintenance
  • Event planning and assistance
Print Print | Sitemap
© Scottdale Historical Society